31 December 2001

As I'm sitting here, I'm thinking about what I want to accomplish in the coming year. First and foremost, I want to finish a novel. Maybe two. It would be great if they're polished already submitted by December 31, 02. Well at least one of the two. I also want to work on my poetry more. I've written poetry, and frankly I think it is a bit amateurish. I'd like to do some open mic this year as well, and that is gonna take major cojones on my part, since I *hate* speaking in front of folks. But it will be a huge accomplishment in my book. I am also going to work hard on understanding the short story form. I have the hardest time distilling an idea down to short story form, but I realize it's only going to come with practice. My first foray is currently at a standstill at 10K+ words, but I am starting to understand what needs to be cut, and more importantly, WHY.