16 December 2001

I'm reading S.L. Vieh's Star LInes and I feel like she's speaking to me. Why do I write? I've been avoiding that post at Forward Motion, I wanted to think about it for a while. Especially now, since I haven't been writing. I cannot imagine not writing. And I would like to think that I have something to say. I'm not looking to write the next literary classic. I don't want to be studied in classrooms long after I've turned to dust. I just want someone, somewhere, to say, Wow, that was fun! I loved that character!

Writing makes me feel good. I like the act of creating. Writing keeps me creative. I wish I could sing, but I can't. I can't draw for beans, and I can't dance. But I write. And in my writing, I can sing, dance, paint, draw, hell, I can even fly. That's what it feels like when its going good. I have created a world inhabited by people much like the folks around us. I want readers to visit that world and have a good time. But I am realizing that I have been treating it like a hobby, or just "something I do". So now I need to move it up in the priority scale. Give writing the importance I give my day job, the one that pays the bills, so that I can eventually make writing the job that pays the bills.